Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Walter marton and Paloma Munoz

Walter Martin and Paloma Munoz depict uneasy scenarios with their photographs of snow globes. My initial impression of Martin and Munoz’s work was that of fancifulness. However, it quickly darkens and I found myself feeling anxious. What I love about the Travelers series is its ability to uproot your sense of place and reality to offer you another possibility. The construction of each globe is so minimal yet each clearly contains a suspenseful story of travelers experiencing a moment of homelessness. It pricks at our fear of loosing the security that a house or home symbolizes. The artist’s decision to show the curved limits of the globes allows the work to acknowledge its own fantastical nature, yet it did not diminish the ambiance and feeling each scenario conjures up in the viewer. I was made fully aware of being a voyeur and at times being helpless. I am attracted to Travelers ability to draw the viewer into its frames and in essence transcend its two dimensionality.

In a way, Martin and Munoz’s work reminds me of Robert and Shana Parkeharrison’s collaboration, specifically images that encapsulate a dreamscape. Personally, I gravitate a little more to Travelers because of its refreshing aesthetics and dark humor.

No comments: