Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lauren E. Simonutti (Jesaca's Post)























“Still”, by Lauren E. Simonutti unnerved me and understandably because her work is intensely introspective. Her narrative is about the devastation of insanity. “Madness strips things down to their core. It takes everything, and in exchange offers more madness, and the occasional ability to see things that are not there. I am aware enough to know the things I see and hear are not real, but that does not mean I do not still see them.” I don’t think her work relates to mine directly but I am fascinated by the different possible sources of inspiration. For her, there is no choice, if she does not photograph, she cannot tell what is reality and what is fabrication. She creates her own realities in her photographs that reflect internal madness. Because most of her photographs are highly manipulated in the darkroom, this seems fitting. Similarly, “Mourning Cloak” by Robert and Shana Parkeharrison and “Still” are tangible and terribly believable even if they are “created” images.

No comments: