Monday, September 17, 2007

Yann Arthus-Bertrand (Rachel's pick)


1). Yann Arthus-Bertrand is a french photographer, whose work I saw in Chicago one summer. In his series Earth from Above, he traveled all over the world in a helicopter and air balloon taking aerial photographs. I like how this view causes us to re-evaluate our surroundings, and see the world in a different light. These photos show beautiful patterns and colors, illustrating the beauty of the world. The message conveyed through the photographs is that the earth is an amazing but delicate place, so it is up to us to keep the beauty alive. Also while looking at his website, I discovered his animals series. I like how he shows the relationship between animal and owner.

http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/index_new.htm

2). Like Masha's work, Yann Arthus- Bertrand uses bright colors and patterns to get the beauty of his work across. However, Masha uses negative space to make her work more successful while, Arthus-Bertrand uses the whole paper for his prints.

1 comment:

Gregory Thielker said...

I saw an outdoor exhibit of these photographs while I was living in Paris a few years ago. They were hung on the metal gate surrounding the Jardin de Luxembourg. I used to run there- and remember seeing them as if they were a sequence of unconnected parts.