Monday, September 17, 2007

Martha Rosler (Jen's pick)


I don't know if this is cheating- because she's coming to the WAM- but I've been looking at Martha Rosler. I think I was drawn to the poster advertising the show at the WAM because it gives some messages that I've been thinking all summer when working my retail job: customers are so consumed with getting their clothing, more things they don't need, and managers are going crazy about how everything is folded, is everything perfect, ect, and meanwhile there are many horrible, important things going on in the world that we SHOULD be worried about.
While I worked in the mall all summer, I thought about this constantly, and the photo montage made me think of this again. http://www.worcesterart.org/Exhibitions/martha_rosler.html

Like Masha D'yans, there is a focus on design and color to get the message of the work across (although there is completely different subject matter).

No comments: