Monday, September 17, 2007

Tara Donovan (Seah's pick)


Tara Donovan is an installation artist who works with really large quantities of common materials like styrofoam cups, straws, and tar paper. Her work has roots in minimalism but the end result is very different from what the minimalists were going for. I like her work because it manages to use the intrinsic qualities of the material to transcend the material itself. Her work suggests nebulous clouds and other organic forms. I also like the message about consumerism that comes from the intersection of things that are frequently discarded with the natural-looking shapes that she creates. I can't say that her work has much of a connection to my painting (or much of a relation to the other artists people talked about here), but I think that the way she uses material is important to think about. The message that I take away is that a lot of what makes artwork good is based on how well the artist understands the material and what it can or can't do.

No comments: